Saturday, September 16, 2006

Culture Shock?!

So another week has gone. I got my typhoid shot (my arm hurt), got my Dukoral, and got my anti-malarial pills (which apparently do NOT stop you from getting malaria anyway, they just make it less bad if you actually do get it...hmmm...the name is a little bit misleading..."ANTI-malaria"...). And I started my orientation for Honduras this week! Actually, the CAUSE interns (me!) and the interns from Samaritan's Purse spent the last two days together, getting trained by the government Centre for Intercultural Learning (CIL). It was actually fairly interesting!

Significant learning for me:
- Culture shock WILL happen. And it WILL suck!
- I deal with stress by talking/venting to someone I trust
- I am much more scared about giant (or tiny) tarantulas than I thought I'd be
- I need to do a shareholder analysis for the job that I still have NO CLUE how to do!!
- My cocoon from Honduran culture will be the internet, and keeping in touch with home
- My faith is going to be tested and tried in the next six months
- I have three weeks off at Christmas, and need to find something to do (we're not supposed to come home, but can travel around Central America...not sure I want to do that alone)

I am actually fairly scared of myself. Scared of how I will react in certain situations. Scared that I will not be a good ambassador for Christ in the place I am living. Scared that I don't know how to do successful development projects.

My roommates are awesome. They bought me a bunch of stuff that I need for my trip, including a dry bag from MEC, and a bodum thing that fits into your nalgene bottle, so I'll always have coffee! (although I am going to have to learn how to drink it black) and other cool stuff. AND, I got to talk to Sarah on Skype tonight, so I spent like an hour on the phone to Indo for free. Man, skype is awesome! I am a mixture of excited and nervous, up and down about my trip, all at the same time! I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow - it sure sounds like you're already learning a lot! I'm glad you're having fun and meeting people already. I'm praying for you!