- So we don’t have the internet anymore. And the phones weren’t working today either. So really, we are stuck with no method of communication, except to go to the city (which is where I’m sending this from). This is the MOST frustrating part of the entire experience so far, the lack of communication. AAHH!! It makes me cry some days, when all I want is to get an email from someone who loves me, and I can’t. Hopefully the internet comes back on soon, but no one really knows when/if that will happen.
Cool Stuff I’ve done so far:
...Learned how to drive a scooter! This was very fun.
...Every night we hang out with this girl named Rosy and her family. They are awesome. I love hanging out at their house
...Swimming in the ocean just as the sun is setting. You can’t look at a scene like that and not believe in God. It is breathtaking. Pictures don’t do it justice.
...Driven a huge diesel truck over the bumpy dirt roads to a FIESTA, where I had to exhibit to the world that I have absolutely NO dancing skills!
...Learned how to make some traditional Garifuna foods, like coconut sweet bread.
...Went to the mountain with a 52 year old woman who chopped up wood like she was 20. Then carried the wood home on my back for ONE AND A HALF HOURS. She does this every day. I almost died. - Stuff I’m frustrated with so far:
...Bugs! There are always bugs in the house. There are always little sand flies biting me, and then I am itchy and grumpy!
...My job. There is no internet, which I need to research what I’m supposed to be doing for my job. So pretty much I just try and keep myself busy, but waste a lot of time
...LACK OF COMMUNICATION. I think I already mentioned that!
...LACK OF SPANISH SKILLS. I don’t feel like I’m getting any better at Spanish, because most of the people here speak to each other (even around me) in Garifuna
Anyway, I guess that’s the update for now! Keep writing me emails…when I do get them, I really appreciate them. A lot.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Internet Anyone?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey Karyn,
This is dad. Forgot about your blog spot until tonight, and I have read everything. Just remember, God is in control and will continue to guard and guide you daily.
Love always,
Dad
I miss fiestas! And sweet breads. And warmth! It's snowing and cold today and I shoveled the walk and I need to again!
I've been praying for you. Squash some roaches for me. Miss you.
YOu can dance if you want to... you can leave your friends behind...
Karyn I miss you and I love reading your blog. I wish I could swim in the ocean at sun down aswel , although the ocean itself creeps me out hahah. But still... I wanna dance with people from other cultures I want to eat food from other cultures and carry wood on my back for hours too.... Oh man.
I am praying for you daily, that God would give you strength to get through the annoyances of no Communication and little bugs and things. Hang in there sister.
K,peace
-Dan
Hi Karyn,
No internet is hard ~ that would be my biggest complaint too if I were you. God used you to stop my complaining today though ~ I was all in a self-pity party (my kids are whiny, I don't feel good, life is sooo busy) until I read your update today. You are awesome ~ I know God is blessing and going to bless you for all you do and give up for Him. You inspire me! Wish I could be swimming in that ocean with you!
Hang in there. I will pray that you get some consistent internet access ~ and I'll just pray for you :)
I love you Karyn! Chandra
Post a Comment