Sunday, December 17, 2006

Merry Almost Christmas...

It's almost Christmas. I'm sad. I'm far away from my family and friends, and I want to come home. It doesn't seem like Christmas at all, except for the 100 versions of "feliz navidad" that I hear every day. I want to go home. To cold. To snow. And most important, to family. I am lonely here, even though I am with my roommate Catherine, who has been a great travel companion.
I am in Guatemala! This has been the last few days:

December 10: Left Ciriboya. It was POURING RAIN and we almost didn't make it out. We had to drive through rivers that were at least up to my waist, and the current was strong. I was scared we would get swept right off the road and into the river...but we didn't! Made it to La Ceiba, the city we always go to. It took us 7 hours.
December 11: Got on a bus to go to Guatemala. We got on the bus at 5am, and we got to the city of Guatemala at 8pm. Now count the hours...that is 15 hours on a bus. I was so tired of buses. But we weren't done yet. We got off the bus for like 15 minutes, and got on another bus to go to Antigua, which is the Old City of Guatemala. Another 1 hour on the bus! Had a late supper at an amazing restaurant, and finally felt like we were on vacation!
December 12: Woke up early and explored Antigua for the morning. It is a touristy place, with cool shops, awesome scenery, and quaint little coffee houses. Then got on ANOTHER bus to head to San Marcos, where we were visiting the CAUSE project there. This was another 7 hours on the bus...we didn't get there until midnight.
December 13: We left for Comitancillo, the little village where CAUSE is working. This was not bad, only an hour away, and it was in a car! Spent the day there...it is a cool little mountain village with awesome colors, typical dress, great cheap food, and a great cultural experience! Played basketball for the first time in months, and relaxed. It was a great day!
December 14: Spent another day in Comitancillo, soaking everything in! Went back to San Marcos at night, and hung out. It was a nice relaxing day, with not much travel.
December 15: Woke up at 4:30am. Got in the car at 5am. Drove to Mexico!! Yes, Mexico. We needed to cross the border to renew our passports, so we decided to just drive to Mexico for the day! A place called Tapachula, Chiapas. It was AWESOME! It made me want to go back to Mexico SO BADLY.
December 16: Got on ANOTHER bus, for another 7 hour bus ride back to Guatemala City. Oh my gosh, I'm so tired of buses! Stayed in a bed and breakfast in Guatemala City. Ate at McDonalds, it was so nice to have a Big Mac!
December 17: Today I have been touristy! We are back in Antigua, and am staying here today and tomorrow, just RELAXING. I am looking forward to writing A LOT in my journal, before my next long busride back to Honduras.

Anyway, that's my life in the past week! No pictures this time. But hope you enjoyed the update. Write me an email if you remember...I am very lonely this Christmas.

1 comment:

Dan Nel said...

Karyn... I miss you.. a lot..
Can't wait till you get home, to hang out... laugh... eat pizza, watch a movie/movies ya know fun stuff... go to DQ mmm...
Have an awesome Christmas I will pray for you much... I don't know what it must feel like to be alone but I will pray for you... Keep home in your heart Karyn... You will be home soon..
Your friend,
-Dan