Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas in Hondu

I would like to mention some important things about my Christmas:
* This is me with my roommate Catherine.
* I had an AWESOME stocking from my mom, and Catherine and I also exchanged presents, which was lots of fun, although definitely not the same as being at home. Catherine's dad is here visiting too, which is fun.
* We had coffee with Bailey's for breakfast, and we had french toast. It was a wonderful morning, until I started feeling sick to my stomach. I decided to ignore it, and we went to the beach to chill out for a while.
* While at the beach, we saw two jellyfish in the water, that were heading straight for us, so we screamed like little girls and ran out of the water! Then, as I went to suntan, I suddenly felt the urge to throw up. So I did. All that great breakfast, down the drain!
* I got to talk to my entire family on skype, and to Sarah on msn. It was SO NICE to hear from loved ones
* The rest of the day I didn't eat, and I ate "Christmas Dinner", but hardly ate any. We had a pretty good dinner, corn from a can, mashed potatoes from a box, cranberry sauce, carrots, Stove Top stuffing, green olives, and...sausage! We wanted chicken, but couldn't find ANY CHICKEN in our whole village. All in all, a good meal.
* It was sad to be away from family, but at least I had other English speakers to be with. We listened to Christmas music on the computer all night. It was very relaxing.
Thank you to all who wrote me notes of encouragement, emails, etc... I really appreciated them. Aaron Hoos, thanks a ton! You really encouraged me on a day when I really needed it!

This is the scorpion that Catherine's dad killed this morning...AFTER IT STUNG ME ON THE WRIST. It hurt like a bugger. Now I can officially say that I have been stung by a scorpion, and survived to tell the tale! Don't worry mom, I'm fine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karyn:

Blessed Christmas to you! Thanks for continuing to let us see into your life during this interesting time.

This year we decided no to give Christmas gifts, but rather donated money to various Christian charities that touched our hearts. We shared where we had sent the money when we got together. It was different, but really special. "Things" really don't make Christmas.

We are excited about your new nephew, too. Everyone of your Ontario relatives has seen the pictures and are really glad that Jonah has arrived safely.

I am looking forward to hearing what God has taught you through this awesome experience.

Love, Aunt Jan

Anonymous said...

Karyn:

Wow 2 posts in 2 days!!! I am impressed. You were greatly missed here this Christmas, but I am glad to hear that it forced you to be with God and him alone on that day!! I love you so much and I am counting the days until you come home...only 69 days!! I love you and I hope to hear from you soon!!

Love, Karla

Anonymous said...

Hey Karyn,
I just read through your blog here and boy you better start being a little more careful! ...getting stung by scorpions and cutting yourself....I think I will be praying for your safety!! I'm sorry to hear you were sick on Christmas too! Well, I hope you have a good New Year's?!?

Yvonne and family