
Let me introduce you to my two beautiful nephews! The older one is Elijah David, and the younger one is Jonah Alexander. I am the most proud auntie on the face of the earth. Seriously. The only thing that would make me happier right now would be to be with them in Canada, holding my brand new nephew Jonah, and hearing Elijah say "I love you Auntie"! MAN, I love them so incredibly much!
So, Happy New Year! I can't believe it is 2007. Wow. Time is flying by. Everyday I am reminded of the fact that I need to take advantage of every opportunity. And here's one for you...the other day I went "CRAB CATCHING". There is actually a verb in Spanish that describes the act of catching crabs from the ocean! So, in Canada, my dad says that if you buy fresh crabs, they may be like $10.99 a pound, or so. The other day me and Rosy and Jessica went to the ocean. We tossed a bunch of chicken guts tied to a rope into the ocean (the chicken guts were from the two chickens that they killed in the morning, because they felt like eating fresh chicken, but that's a different story!). Then me and Jessica stayed on the beach with a big pot, and Rosy went into the ocean looking for the chicken guts. Every couple of minutes, she would pull it up, and there would be a crab eating the guts. So she would grab the crab, very carefully so as to not get pinched (they have wicked pinchers), and then she would throw it up onto the beach, where Jessica would proceed to bury it with sand, in order to immobilize it, and then pick it up and toss it in the bucket. Within about 45 minutes, they had caught a dozen HUGE crabs, plus a few tiny ones that were running around on the beach. We went back to their house, washed the sand off, boiled them up, and within about 5 minutes, we were eating fresh crab! I don't know exactly how much we ate, but it was at LEAST 5 pounds, maybe more. Amazing, hey!? It was such a cool experience! Although I can't say that I was very much help, I am VERY SCARED of their pinchers, and prefer to stay as far away from them as possible. I pretty much was the cheering section of the whole ordeal, and whenever a crab would get too close to me, I would run and scream like a little girl! Take advantage of every opportunity this year.
3 comments:
Karyn, that is so cool! I can't even imagine catching crabs like that! You are going to have the best stories after this experience! Happy New Year to you too!
hi karyn! loved your stories! i met up with amy ohler last week and she told me about your site :o) take care! how long are you down there for? i might be coming to guatemala sometime this summer. love, phoebs (from cts)
Hi Karyn,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I love all your stories and thoughts! Thanks for the pic of your cute nephews~ I wish I could get to Canada soon too to see them!
Keep up with the great blogging. You are in my prayers!
Post a Comment