Saturday, January 13, 2007

mad soccer skills...

This week was back to the ¨grind¨ of work in Ciriboya. Vacation was amazing, but it has to end sometime! So it was back to work, which I really don´t mind. I love the microfinance people Carina and Nohel, and I get along great with both of them. I felt semi-productive this week, and am working on a couple of projects to finish in the next few months, which is good, because it is giving me some goals.
We have also been playing soccer, having fun, and enjoying our time left here. The soccer thing started one day because the interns and my boss went to the beach to kick around the soccer ball. Then a bunch of teenagers and a bunch of kids joined us, and we ended up having a game of beach soccer. That was on Tuesday. Since Tuesday we have played almost every day! It is so fun...we start around 4pm (knock off work just a little bit early!) and play until it gets dark and we can´t see either the ball or the goal anymore! (around 6pm). It is great exercise...I have muscles in my feet that I never knew about! And it´s been fun to just hang out with Garifuna people and have fun...laugh with the kids, joke around with the teenagers, and just have a good time.
The ocean was really strong the other day. I went swimming, and went out a little too far, and it was a bit scary. Like I wasn´t out that far, but the waves were pretty big, and although I had no trouble getting back to shore, I decided that I wasn´t a big fan of swimming out that far with waves that huge! I also saw like 10 jellyfish that had been washed up on the beach because of the big waves. They are funny looking...I wished I had my camera with me. Some were pink, and some were blue. And they were kind of hard but jelly-like. Dave suggested we eat them, but we nixed that idea pretty fast!
Anyway, as I´m looking back on the week, it seems pretty mundane. But it was good. We left for the city this morning at 4am, and I got to drive all the way from Ciriboya to the place in the road where the pavement starts. It is a three hour drive on the gravel roads, before you get to the pavement. I felt very special...it was my first time driving that far. I always drive the truck around Ciriboya and surrounding communities, but this was my first farther drive. It was a little bumpy, as it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid the potholes in the road...but all in all, I was pretty proud!

No comments: